Our Professional Advisory Board provides ADHD Europe with its depth of scientific knowledge, giving advice based on their wide ranging experience in ADHD and comorbid conditions. To find out more about one of its members, please click on their name.
Prof. Dr. j.j. Sandra Kooij
- PsyQ, psycho-medical programs, Program and Expertise Center Adult ADHD, The Hague, The Netherlands
- Amsterdam University Medical Centre/VUMc, Amsterdam, dept. of psychiatry
Sandra Kooij started as a psychiatrist in 1995 with the development of diagnostic assessment, treatment and research in the field of adult ADHD in the Netherlands. In 2006 she received her PhD on a thesis entitled ‘ADHD in adults. Clinical studies on Assessment and Treatment’ at Radboud University Nijmegen (promoter prof. dr. J.K. Buitelaar). She has been involved for more than 25 years in ADHD research, patientcare, development of new trainings for professionals, informing the public, coordinating (inter)national networks on ADHD, publishing books, articles, and websites.
Her main research interests are ADHD, sleep and health: disturbances of the circadian rhythm and the impact on mood, weight and health, and the relationship with hormonal changes in women. ADHD in older people is another interest.
(Inter)national tasks and positions
· 2020 – current Professor Adult ADHD at Amsterdam University Medical Center/VUMc, Amsterdam
· 2002 – current Initiator and Head of Program and Expertise Center ADHD in adults and elderly, at PsyQ. Program ADHD in adults and elderly in the Hague, treats annually around 1000 ADHD patients with comorbidity, by a specialised multidisciplinary team. The expertise center is an (inter)national research and education institute that develops, distributes and implements new knowledge about ADHD in adults in mental health care in the Netherlands and abroad. The knowledge is distributed by scientific and popular publications, education programs, websites and films (www.psyq.nl). In 2008, 2013 and 2018, Program and Expertise Center received the TOP Mental Health (TOPGGz) acknowledgement, for excellent patientcare, education and research (www.topggz.nl).
· 2010 – current Specialist-leader Adult ADHD at PsyQ in the Netherlands, responsible for the training and support of other locations of PsyQ in the Netherlands. Each location has a specialised Adult ADHD Program (www.psyq.nl).
· 2015 – current Specialist-leader Neurobiological Developmental Disorders at Parnassia Group in the Netherlands
· 2010 – 2015 Chair of the Guideline committee on Adult ADHD of the Dutch organisation of Psychiatry. The guideline was published sept 2015.
· 2003 – current Initiator and chair of the ‘European Network Adult ADHD’, in which now adult ADHD specialists from 28 countries take part www.eunetworkadultadhd.com.
· 2009 – current Initiator and president of the international DIVA Foundation that distributes at low cost online translations of the Dutch Diagnostic Interview for ADHD in adults (DIVA-5) that has been translated in 20 languages (www.divacenter.eu).
· 2008 – current Advisory Board member of APSARD, the American Psychiatric Society on ADHD and Related Disorders
· 2010 – current Member of the Scientific Program committee of the World ADHD Congress
· 2017 – current Advisory Board of ADHD Europe
· 2017 – current Member of Eunethydis, European research network on ADHD